Thursday, March 26, 2009

More than a little bit annoyed

Okay, this is totally off the topic of stitching, but I really need to get this off my chest.

I've lived in lots of places in my life. A couple of medium sized cities (around 100,000 people), one really huge city (millions of people) and now a small town (less than 5000 people). I really love it here, it's a wonderful little town, and when you walk through it, it feels like you've gone back in time a hundred years. It's situated next to a lake, I live on the cliff which overlooks the lake. We usually get a nice cool breeze in summer, so even days that are in the 40s are bearable. I've gotten to know most of my neighbours, and people about town in the shops, bakery, butcher, post office, and I love that. Most small towns you stick out like a sore thumb if you're new, here I never felt that. Probably because most of my family has lived here at one time or another, and everyone knew my grandfather and remembers me as a little girl. Even my DB, who came here less than 4 years ago from England was welcomed by the community. He wasn't looked upon as an oddity, everyone loved the fact that he was different and most loved listening to him speak. In other words, I've found somewhere to live that just fits me and where I fit.

That said, I may have to leave my little town. We got a proposal in the mail the other day, detailing a new project that is being built a couple of kilometres down the lake - a Nuclear Power Plant. I don't argue with the fact that Nuclear Power is cleaner and better for the environment, but I don't want one in my backyard. They say it will create 1000 jobs. Sure, but not for people from the community, you have to have an education in electricity and nuclear studies to hold a job there. They say that it is completely safe to live here still, about the same amount of radiation as a yearly x-ray. Yet they also warn that pregnant women and small children shouldn't live within 5 km of it. So what are all the families in this town, which is a mere 4 km from the proposed site, supposed to do? Anyone with a well will have to have water trucked in, forget using their own ground water. Anyone within 1 km of the plant will have to move. This includes my cousin, who bought her dream house about 10 years ago and has put thousands of dollars, and her own blood sweat and tears into renovating and restoring it. Who cares if they're offering her twice what it's worth, she doesn't want the money, she wants her house!

The county hasn't yet given approval for building to commence. I'll tell you this, not one person in this town supports it. However, they're being clever, they've gone as far as 20 km in all directions around the plant to gain support. Well people that far out don't care, they think it's just wonderful that they'll get discounts on their hydro bills and possibly a well paying job. So here's my proposal. Put it in one of these communties that is currently supporting it! We don't want it. They do! Let them have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment