Monday, May 10, 2010

A Kaleidescopic finish

Well it's done. Actually it was done on Saturday night, but I finally got Nate to bring the camera down. lol

This is stitched in silks (of course) that I bought off ebay years ago. They're flat, untwisted filament silks from Suzhou, China. I turned the brightness up a few notches - I tried hard to get the colours in the picture accurate, but with colours this bright it's difficult. I took this in direct sunlight and it's about as close as I can get! It's still much brighter in person though. I wish the camera could pick up the shine, it's amazing! For the black I used HDF, and looking at the finish I probably should have doubled up, it's a bit thin in spots. The fabric is 40 count linen from HDF which is supposed to be an evenweave, though as you can probably tell from the pictures, it's not. The design finished up 7 inches by 7 1/2 inches, so there is definitely a difference in the warp and weft. Overall, I'm very happy with it though, and it was a delightfully fun project. Taming the threads was a bit of a challenge with my frightfully rough hands, but I enjoyed it. :)

I didn't stitch last night, just wasn't feeling up to it. It's that time of the month when I curse being a woman, and the cramps were just awful. Plus, I was supposed to go visit mom after work, but the car isn't co-operating. I could smell gas something terrible on the way home last night, and Jon checked it out and we have a leak in the tank. So after his test run at the shoe store today, he's taking it in.

So now to decide... I'm off for the day today, and I want to spend the day stitching my heart out. Should I start Triangles? Should I finish hearts? Hmmm....

2 comments:

  1. pretty pretty pretty, bet it really shimmers if you used flat untwisted filament silk,
    funny about hte linen,i did lots of test counting and mine came up even ,
    my latest not hte count it says it is is graziano 45 ct ,
    can't wwait to see the first triangles pic... or the finished hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah,the Graziano is more like a 48 count. Hand dyed it's about 50. I did a quick count on the piece of Vikki's I still have here and it counts to 39 one way and 41 the other. So it's pretty close. Might just be the piece I have. Triangles is coming along quickly, I have 2+ pages of outline stitched already. This one is being stitched in brights on black.

    ReplyDelete